One of the founding principles of the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) and the Niagara Frontier Chapter
(ADK-NFC) is education. The ADK-NFC has a vested interest in seeing all of its members continue
exploring new outdoor pursuits and gaining the knowledge to do them safely.
In order to encourage our member to take part in the education programs offered by the ADK, the ADKNFC is making available a limited number of scholarships to help defer the cost of these programs to
interested members. By sponsoring these scholarships we affirm our commitment to the growth of our
members. Details on the scholarships are below.
HOW IT WORKS
- Pick a course/seminar that you want to attend. Gather all of the information and apply to the course.
- Fill out the ADK-NFC application and submit it no later than 1 month (30 days) prior to the start of the program to the Chairperson or Education Chair. You will be notified within about a week if you are approved and for how much.
- Pay for and attend the course. Once completed submit proof of completion and a receipt of your payment to the Treasurer.
TYPES OF COURSES
CPR, Basic First Aid, Map and Compass, GPS, Winter camping Skills, Basic Backpacking, Wilderness
First Aid, Water Rescue, Basic Kayaking, etc.
WHERE ARE COURSES GIVEN
The ADK has classes at their Heart Lake facility (Lake Placid) and at the headquarters in Lake George.
Other chapters may offer classes in different locations.
Outside organizations have facilities throughout the state or may conduct some classes at local parks. Some of the organizations that have frequent courses are:
- Red Cross
- Paths, Peaks and Paddles
- Solo Schools
- Adventure Calls Outfitting
- Wilderness Safety Council
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute
- Wilderness First Aid NY
- Pack Paddle Ski
- Evergreen Outfitters
HOW MUCH ARE SCHOLARSHIPS
For ADK or ADK chapter sponsored classes there is up to $100 available.
For Non-ADK classes there is up to $50 available.
WHATS THE CATCH
None… Well actually with all of your new knowledge you should be ready to coordinate an outing and
share it with your fellow members.
HOW TO APPLY
Education Scholarship Guidelines